Established in 2003

What is the Old Herefordian Fund?

Bequest Kick Starts Fund

As the result of a generous donation of £100,000 made by Arthur Ulrich Zimmerman (OH 1902 – 1908) on his death, the Old Herefordian Fund was founded as a charitable trust.  Arthur declared that the money was to be administered by up to 12 trustees appointed by the OH Club with the express purpose of providing support for the School.  This would take the form of bursaries, awards for specific projects and general financial assistance offered at the discretion of the Trustees.  The most significant area of help would be the acquisition of buildings.

The quiet man

This is an image of the late Arthur Zimmerman taken just after he left HCS to go up to Oxford at the beginning of the last Century. He was a staunch supporter of the OH Club and very kindly bequeathed his entire estate to the OH Club after he died in 1971.

This is an image of the late Arthur Zimmerman taken just after he left HCS to go to University at the beginning of the last Century. He was a staunch supporter of the OH Club and very kindly bequeathed his entire estate to the club after he died.

A pupil at Hereford Cathedral School before the Great War, Arthur was a shy, unassuming man with no near family.  He lived locally in Tarrington and was a keen supporter of HCS once he left school, eventually being elected President of the OH Club.

Proceeds arrive

Arthur passed away in 1963 and in his Will he declared that the whole of his estate be left to the OH Club, to be used for the benefit of the School “as the OH Club should think fit”. However, the Club had to wait until 1975 before they received the funds because Arthur had kindly left a life interest in the income from his estate to two faithful retainers.

Four Decades On

The Fund is now worth an estimated £2.5 million and owns several properties in Castle Street and Church Street which it rents to the School on a ‘lease-back’ arrangement.  This has helped the School adapt to the changes in the education system in the UK which saw an end to an all-male boarding school and the introduction of girls, initially in the Sixth Form, then later as fully Co-ed status across the entire age range.  Furthermore, with the closure of the Assisted Places scheme, the Fund enabled HCS to adapt to the demand for new facilities and the requirement for changes in the needs of educational establishments over the years.  It is worth noting here that the OHF also helped the school finance the building of The Moat, which is now used as the HCJS Pre – Prep department for reception to year 2 pupils.

Bursaries

Each year the OH Fund ploughs a significant portion of its rental income back into the School by offering a number of means tested bursaries and scholarships to talented young people. This funding provides an excellent opportunity for deserving students, adding diversity to the School.  Looking ahead, it is anticipated that Arthur’s legacy will continue to fund Bursaries and Scholarships long into the future.